LLTI Archives

March 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:17:04 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Mary Toulouse <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:15:49 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Mary Toulouse <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: digital labs

HI folks,
I've heard a lot of lab directors express concern about the prohibitive
cost of replacing the equipment in their analog Tandberg or Sony labs. We
at Lafayette have found a software solution, which we are quite happy with:
Divace Solo, which is now called the Sanoko Media Assistant. There are
three versions of the product, Duo, Solo and Lite. The Duo version is
included with the  digital lab and provides for  monitor/intercom
activities. Solo, however, includes all of the Duo features, but functions
as a stand alone version and can be used on a PC without the expensive
hardware traditionally associated with an analog lab. In other words, there
is no monitor or intercom activity, but there are the text synchronization,
Q & A, listen and repeat, record, bookmark features.  We have developed a
number of exciting uses and new courses, which include these
activities.  For realtime feedback, the faculty is quite happy circulating
from station to station as opposed to "monitoring" student work from a
central console.
I purchased Solo in January, 2004 as an upgrade for $160 a seat.  I just
checked the current prices with our Sanoko, aka, Tandberg, rep. He told me
that "the cost of Solo varies depending on quantity ordered, anywhere from
$269 to $420. Site licenses are available for primary, secondary and higher
education schools enabling its use on all PCs at that address."

As I said, this product has worked quite nicely for us; unfortuately, I
don't know of a similar product for Mac's.

Hope this is of some help.

Mary Toulouse, Director of the FLLRC
Lafayette College
Easton, PA 18042