LLTI Archives

March 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:41:58 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Crandall, Lynne" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: [LLTI] #7850 Problems in learning a second language
>Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:42:14 -0500
>From: "Crandall, Lynne" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

I have copied the segment below from our Students with Learning Disabilities
website at
http://www.umich.edu/~sswd/ssd/fhb-ld.html .    You might suggest that your
student discuss his/her experience with an academic advisor to see what
suggestions they would have. --Lynne

Foreign Language

Students who have disabilities that relate to distinguishing, processing,
remembering, and expressing sounds and words may find learning a foreign
language problematic.  To successfully master a second language a student must
be able to:  hear and cognitively differentiate between the sound structure of
words, comprehend and remember the meanings of words and differing meanings when
words are combined, understand rules related to sentence structure and grammar,
retrieve information easily, and mentally manipulate it to successfully
communicate verbally or in writing.

Students who have disabilities that affect learning a foreign language may
benefit when instruction is multi-sensory, when students are given sufficient
oral practice, and when pressures of timed responses (oral and written) are
removed.   Some students you work with may experience extreme and persistent
difficulties/failures in learning a foreign language, despite the student$E2s
conscientious effort.  In such cases, you may refer the student to the LS&A
Academic Advising Center (1255 Angell Hall) to discuss the possibility of
petitioning to receive a foreign language substitution.  Should the petitioning
process be pursued, the student may ask his or her foreign language faculty
person to write a letter stating the specific difficulties he or she has had.

Lynne Crandall
University of Michigan Language Resource Center
812 E. Washington Street
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1275
734-647-0762