LLTI Archives

March 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:35:12 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:37:35 -0600
>From: Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7845Evaluating a Second Language acquisition
>To: LLTI message <[log in to unmask]>

Emma,

I would say you are exactly right on target. If you aren't familiar with the
ACTFL Standards document for language learning, that will help also to
clarify this for you. You can download the executive summary from their
website at http://actfl.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3394

As for how to assess, I would recommend using rubrics. That will help you
look for exactly what you want, not just grammar but how well did the
student get their meaning across.

Here is a link to a phenomenal resource on assessment put together by the
folks at CARLA: http://carla.umn.edu/assessment/vac/
There is a section there on Rubrics that will help you understand them and
know how to use them. The only thing that I would change is in the area
where it shows you Level 1, Level 2 and so on as ability levels, I prefer to
think of it as something like Exceeds Expectations, Satisfactory,
Developing, Unsatisfactory  or similar references.

If you are looking for a tool to help you create them, I would recommend
http://rubistar.4teachers.org/index.php
They don't have a specific area for language learning but you can choose
similar types of activities you plan to assess. Then choose the criteria
category you will assess and it will automatically pop-up a suggestion for
what you might look for in that category. You can then edit them to match
more what you actually look for in language learners. For each box you can
assign a number of points so if accuracy is more important than props for
example, you can give them different point values. You can change the titles
of the categories to being in the target language or you can create your
own. There is also a link to a Spanish version however, if you are teaching
beginners, I would recommend that you put the category names perhaps in
Spanish but not what you are assessing. It is important that students are
aware of what you are assessing prior to their performance. There is really
no need in first year to challenge their understanding of what they need to
do when what you really want to see is how much Spanish they know and how
well they can produce it in a given context.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Lauren
Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program