LLTI Archives

March 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:15:02 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:35:31 -0600
>From: Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: 7842 IPTV vs. IP video
>To: LLTI message <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Carol,

I know I already sent you a long answer to some other questions you had. In
any case, IP Video and IPTV really is the same thing as far as I know. There
is something called ITV, often known as Interactive Television or
Interactive Two-Way Videoconferencing and that is really what the ITV or
Video part stands for. IP just says that it is done using Internet Protocol
rather than other forms of compressed video like ISDN.

As for resources, another place that I found has a really nice sort of
general step by step distance education info site is at:
http://www.uidaho.edu/eo/distglan
They do have a section on ITV there as well as lots of other good general
information. For language programs, Univ. of WI uses ITV to offer beginning
and intermediate courses in Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese and
Russian. We serve about 250 students per semester. I also know that Syracuse
and Cornell Universities have been working together on Turkish and perhaps
some others. In addition Ohio State is doing some work with ITV in Spanish
and I suspect there are some others out there.

Feel free to contact me again for more information. Our program has been
running for a little over 6 years now.

Lauren
Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program