LLTI Archives

March 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:15:00 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:16:21 -0500
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7843 Language labs without carrels?

I would say, look at how the lab will be used! If it is primarily for
individual drilling, testing, or other processes enhanced by privacy and
isolation, then the booths are good. If it is going to be a computer lab
with possibilities of collaborative work, then tables are better.

Also consider the line of sight of the student and teacher.

Our main audio lab has booths where the students face both the
instructor and the computer. This is necessary for pronunciation work.
It also makes it necessary for instructors to be sure that the lab
planned is pretty demanding--otherwise students will be doing email or
ebay (or downloading AOL messenger etc.) instead of the work. The booths
probably encourage that sense of independence.

We have another computer lab in which the computers are set up so that
students, in movable chairs, face either the instructor or the computer;
the instructor can see all the student screens, the computers being on
open tables. This is much more flexible for classes that are not
intensive labs but mix lecture with computer work.

Judy