LLTI Archives

March 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:35:14 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Waid, Alexander Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Disposition-Notification-To: "Waid, Alexander Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #7845Evaluating a Second Language acquisition
>Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:49:18 -0500
>From: "Waid, Alexander Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Hola Emma,
        I use a wide variety of assessments with my students.  I'll put some of them
down in bullet fashion here:

-low/no stakes writing: free-writing journals for which they get credit for mere
completion (no grade: they are done, or they are not)
-skill-specific homeworks, credit for completion AND self-correction (they buy
the answer keys for their text and THEY correct the HW before class)
-skill-specific quizzes:  these are, at least in part, grammar-driven.  Can they
finish a parragraph with the right form of the verbs?  Can they choose correctly
between por and para?... (5-10 minutes in class)
-quizzes of a more integrative nature:  these are a little longer and ask them
to communicate using particular structures: "tell me what you do on a typical
Saturday", might be part of one of these quizzes.  Grammar is about 1/2 the
grade and communication is the other 1/2 (15-20 minutes)
-tests:  much more communicatively driven (can you explain what a particular
word means?  can you explain (in Spanish) the difference between two or three
similar words?  Can you write more extended narrations in a particular
time-frame?)
-oral interviews:  I use the ACTFL guidelines and start at, roughly,
intermediate mid for the B range and stick to grammar/vocab that we've covered.
I've made a SOPI-type set of questions available online for them based on the
grammar and vocab for our book _!Arriba!_ and broke them down by chapter.  They
have access to these in .mp3 format and the .doc scripts in case they can't
follow the recording 24/7.  They use these to prep/practice for the interviews
and also for quizzes/tests because these always have at least one oral section,
often more.
-pronunciation recordings:  graded on pronunciation/intonation (very, very small
part of the overall grade: two of them combine for 5% of the overall grade)
-Presentations:  they prepare a cultural presentation on a topic of their
choosing (or from alist I give out).  The grade is mostly on communication, but
also cultural relevancy and grammar/pronunciation/breadth of vocab, presence
before the class...
-Compositions (one in-class, one out of class): communication and grammar factor
in.  Although, as with the oral interviews, I don't give a grade lower than a C
if there were no communication breakdowns (no matter how poor the grammar).

There's more, but that's a lot to swallow in one bite.  Hope it's handy!  You'll
want to talk to others in your dept. about materials they've generated: no sense
rebuilding the wheel, especially when the guy/gal next door has built 354 of
them over the last three years!

cheers,
alex

Alexander Waid, Ph.D.