LLTI Archives

March 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:03:03 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Mary Beth Barth <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:40:05 -0500
>From: Mary Beth Barth <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Language Labs Living On Borrowed Time?
>To: [log in to unmask]

I am not concerned that language labs will disappear in 5 years or
so, or 10 years or so----or even 50 years or so.  (I couldn't resist
throwing in the 50 since language centers have now been around for
half a century --starting in the 50s--so why not another half a
century?).  Language centers, like other discipline-specific learning
environments are firmly interwoven into the daily fabric of a
curriculum and certainly in the case of languages, work hand in hand
with the pedagogical issues.  Language labs are no more likely to
disappear from the language field than science labs from the Sciences.

As for the concern that the publishers placing materials on-line may
take away  some of our business----this is true, but to my mind a
welcome development and not a moment too soon.  Unlike audiocassette
decks , computers are multi-purpose.  Students and faculty use the
computers for a variety of activities and it would be practically
impossible to have sufficient computers to handle all the traditional
textbook/lab manual-related activities in addition to everything else
the students need the  language center computers to accomplish.   And
even with the availability of the textbook materials on-line and the
option of doing the work at any time in the comfort of one's own
room,the students still seem to often prefer the language center
environment.  They feel they can focus better, like seeing their
fellow classmates etc.

In my opinion, if any lab is at risk of extinction or down-sizing, it
is the general computing lab.  With more students owning their own
computers, printers etc,  there is far less need for the large
general -purpose computing labs.   In addition, departments who have
reserved these labs in the past for classroom purposes are
increasingly requesting their own computing spaces having
realized that "one size doesn't fit all" and  that it is the language
center model which makes more sense pedagogically as well as in terms
of productivity and effectiveness.

I think language centers will be around for a long time and will
continue to be invaluable as technical pioneers on campuses, models
of technology support within a pedagogical context, and examples for
fostering a community of learners.

--
Mary Beth Barth
Director, Critical Languages Program and

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.