LLTI Archives

March 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:08:00 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Chris Dalessandri" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Chris Dalessandri" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: RE: #7836 software availability for OSX
>Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:36:51 -0500

I can not speak to the issue of what CALL software is available for Macs,
but I am a software developer who has been around the industry for a while.
I do not want debate the issue of which platform is better, they both have
there plusses and minuses. One important thing to note is there are several
Windows emulators for
Macs out there, but there are no Mac emulators for windows. This is because
Macs are only about 3% of the market, and that number is falling.  Even in
the education market, Microsoft continues take market share away from Apple.

As a software developer, I would like to support OSX but as a business
person I can not devote an excessive amount of time to a platform that has a
small and shrinking market share. Where it makes sense we write
applications to run on both OSX and windows, but this is exclusively for web
based applications, not for applications that need to be installed. This is
an unfortunate, but real problem.  If you look around the industry, only the
largest companies are able to develop for both platforms.  Most software
companies have to
pick one or the other; and most of us choose the one with the largest number
of possible customers (Windows).

Chris Dalessandri

        Principal / Software Architect
        Prismatic Consulting LLC