LLTI Archives

March 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:13:51 EST
crosspost from CALICO list

--- Forwarded Message from CS Ang <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:03:06 +0000
>Sender: Calico discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
>From: CS Ang <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      the compilation of replies on language learning aspects
>Comments: To: [log in to unmask],
>To: [log in to unmask]

Dear All

this is the compilation of the replies I got about language learning
aspects.

Dear All

Using games in language learning and teaching goes back a long way,
pre-dating the introduction of computers in schools. I used to teach
numbers by playing Bingo in the classroom back in the 1960s. We also played
the board game Monopoly in German, using a version of the game purchased in
Germany.

An early article by Glyn Jones appeared in System 14, 2 (1986): "Computer
simulations in language teaching - the Kingdom experiment". "Yellow River
Kingdom", to give the program its full name, was a variant of the old
Hamurabi game and came free with the BBC Microcomputer Welcome Pack. Glyn
Jones describes how he exploited the program to stimulate conversation
among a group of students whose task was to govern the "Kingdom". Around
the same time The British Council produced a "survival" game for EFL
students entitled "London Adventure". Barry Jones (Homerton College,
Cambridge) then came up with the idea of the more elaborate "Granville"
simulation for young learners of French. "London Adventure" and "Granville"
were published by Cambridge University Press and were bestsellers up until
the early 1990s. More recently, we have seen "Who is Oscar Lake?" which is
designed for language learners.

Other teachers have exploited "Sim City" in much the same way as Glyn Jones
exploited "Kingdom". Other game-like programs include TaskMagic" by mdlsoft
- very popular in schools in the UK - and the AVP Computing "10 Games"
series: "Dix Jeux Fran$E7ais", "Zehn deutsche Spiele" and "Diez Juegos
Espanoles" - also very popular in schools in the UK. See:
http://www.mdlsoft.co.uk
http://www.avp.co.uk

Keri Facer, who is a researcher at NESTA FutureLab, is into games and
simulations (including geeky stuff such as Anarchy Online -
http://www.anarchy-online.com) and she has written at least one report for
NESTA FutureLab on ICT and Modern Foreign Languages:
Future Directions in Language Teaching and Learning, Seminar Report (May
2002) by Keri Facer, Head of Learning Research, NESTA FutureLab:
http://www.nestafuturelab.org/viewpoint/learn04.htm
There is a brief mention of games in the above document. Keri may be worth
contacting via NESTA FutureLab

Regards
Graham Davies
Emeritus Professor of Computer Assisted Language Learning
http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/cvgd.htm

Dear All

Most of the literature concentrates on the four discrete skills: Reading,
Writing, Listening and Speaking. You could start with the Council of
Europe's Common European Framework document:

Council of Europe (2001) Common European Framework of reference: learning,
teaching, assessment, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN: Hardback
0521803136, Paperback: 0521005310.
See the following website for further information on the Common European
Framework (CEF):
http://www.coe.int/T/E/Cultural_Co-operation/education/Languages/Language_P
olicy
The complete text of the Common European Framework (CEF) document can be
downloaded from:
http://culture2.coe.int/portfolio/documents_intro/common_framework.html

See also the DfES Languages Ladder page at:
http://www.dfes.gov.uk/languages/DSP_languagesladder.cfm

See also the MFL pages of the National Curriculum (England) website:
http://www.nc.uk.net
- especially the Key Stage 3 and Attainment Targets sections.

DIALANG offers diagnostic tests in Listening, Reading and Writing in 14
languages. Assessment is geared to the 6-point Common European Framework
scale:
http://www.dialang.org

Regards
Graham Davies
Emeritus Professor of Computer Assisted Language Learning
http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/cvgd.htm

There is a useful bibliography on second language writing at:
<http://clear.msu.edu/research/biblio/>
and one on reading at:
<http://coe.sdsu.edu/people/jmora/L2Bibliography.htm>
Regards
Angela Chambers

Professor Angela Chambers
Director, Centre for Applied Language Studies,
University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Tel. + 353 61 202251
Fax: + 353 61 202556
Email: [log in to unmask]

If you're interested in categories of language learners, consider having a
look at my online bibliography of modern foreign languages and special
educational needs at:

http://www.tomwilson.com/david/mfl/biblio.doc

It contains well over 1300 references, covering the teaching of languages to
those with cognition, learning, emtional, social, behavioural,
communication, interaction, sensory or physical difficulties. You will find
a description of the bibliography in the recent European Commission
publication "Insights & Innovation Special Educational Needs in Europe. The
Teaching and Learning of Languages" at

http://europa.eu.int/comm/education/policies/lang/doc/special_en.pdf

Hope this helps.

David Wilson
Harton School, South Shields
http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/

Thank you for collating all the replies.Very useful.
I suggest you also look at the work of Brenda Laurel and non-CALL games
such as THE SIMS since they offer enourmous potential for CALL.
Good luck with your work.
UF

Dear Uschi / Colleagues

Uschi writes:
"I suggest you also look at the work of Brenda Laurel and non-CALL games
such as THE SIMS since they offer enourmous potential for CALL."

See this website: http://esl.about.com/library/weekly/aa112198.htm
CALL Use in the ESL/EFL Classroom

It contains a short section on strategy games (extract below). I remember
my colleague Peter Skehan using Sim City at Thames Valley University (TVU)
with ESL/ESL students many years ago. Sadly, the once thriving Englsih
Language Education school at TVU has now closed.

I demonstrated the games Myst and Riven, which are mentioned in the
folowing extract, in my WorldCALL 1998 keynote:
http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/worldgd1.htm

Exercise 2 Strategy Games

For younger learners of English, strategy games can be one of the most
effective ways to get students to communicate, agree and disagree, ask for
opinions and generally use their English in an authentic setting. Students
are asked to focus on the successful completion of a task such as solving
riddles (Myst, Riven) and developing strategies (SIM City).

$B7 Choose a strategy game such as a SIM or mystery
$B7 Have students divide into teams
$B7 Create a specific task in the game itself, such as the completion of a
certain level, the creation of a certain type of environment, the solving
of a specific riddle. This is important for providing a framework and
specific language needs/goals for a common ground in the classroom.
$B7 Have students complete the task.
$B7 Have students come together in the classroom and compare strategies.

Regards
Graham Davies
Emeritus Professor of Computer Assisted Language Learning
http://www.camsoftpartners.co.uk/cvgd.htm
Email checked with Norton AntiVirus

Best wishes
Chee Siang Ang

Research Student
Room E548
Centre of Human-computer Interaction Design
City University London EC1V 0HB
Phone: +44 (0)20 7040 8166
Fax: +44 (0)20 7040 8859