LLTI Archives

March 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:13:45 EST
--- Forwarded Message from John DuQuette <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:56:41 -0500
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>From: John DuQuette <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7838 Slide Projector vs. Video Projector

>From: "Kathleen W. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
>

>We have been talking about the prospect of slide projectors being phased
>out of  manufacture and what that means for our image files on slides.
>The question arose about video vs DVD: does anyone know if there is any
>movement toward phasing out the manufacture of video projectors and or/
>videos?  Thanks for your help.

Do you mean VHS decks? Yes, those are on the way out too. DVDs will follow.

What I suggest you do is transfer your slides to digital images (have
your media department scan them in), as high quality tiff files or
jpegs.

Then you can arrange your "slide" show in any number of programs,
iphoto, powerpoint, etc.... and run your slide show from a laptop
attached to a video projector.

However, I don't think mechanical slide projectors are going to be
completely unavailable very soon. there are just too many slides out
there, there's always going to be some old men specializing on
projector maintenance, running little websites, for quite a while. I
haven't googled for it but I bet you'll already find this.

John DuQuette
Yabla Inc. / DVNY