LLTI Archives

March 2005, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:41:19 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Carly J. Born" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:18:58 -0600
>From: "Carly J. Born" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7818 Slate PCs
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

We are using the Motion slates in a classroom project for Japanese and
Hebrew that focuses on the teaching of handwriting.  The pressure
sensitivity of the tablets is impressive and Windows Journal has been
our primary vehicle for practice during this project.  The project
itself is in it's infancy and very free form, but the tablets themselves
have been wonderful.

I personally like the slate better than the convertable tablets (I
tested both) because the convertibles are much heavier.   I enjoyed
using the tablet because of how much more comfortable ergonomically it
was, and so having the keyboard was not really what I needed for my own
use.  It does, however, take quite a bit of time to get used to the pen
input and it seems to be either a love or hate relationship for others
I've known who have tried it.

Foreign Language Technology
http://go.carleton.edu/f

Carly J. Born, Carleton College
Academic Computing Coordinator for Foreign Languages & Literature
[log in to unmask] | 507-646-7010 | www.carleton.edu