LLTI Archives

March 2005, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:04:33 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Browne <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 13:34:02 -0600
>From: Browne <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7821.5 Language Labs Living On Borrowed Time? (!)
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

With the demise of cassettes and inclusion of computers, my facility
has taken a different track from some of the others responding in this
thread.  This year, I opened the facility to all students for any use.
  Next year I will have the only "official" public computing lab for the
building.

I have found some advantages to this change.  I get much better support
from the computing people than I did before   I can usually get  help
immediately for any problems I have.  My computer replacement cycle has
gone from four years to three.  I will have more equipment in the "lab"
than I have had in the past without any tedious justification process.
I don't worry about an administrator walking by and seeing a lightly
used facility so I don't worry about about the space being taken over
for offices or classrooms.

I still spend most of my time working with the language faculty, staff,
and students making FL materials available to them and there is still
some software only available here.  I like to think of my situation as
unique, reporting to Computing but working for the languages, but I
suspect this is not really the case.  I believe that our facilities
and, perhaps, job descriptions will change but our mission to provide
support for the language teachers and learners should not.

Tom Browne

Thomas Goodrich Browne
Humanities Resource Center
Macalester College