LLTI Archives

March 2005, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:42:27 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Scott Williams <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:09:51 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Scott Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7821 Language Labs Living On Borrowed Time?

I don't see publishers streaming the A/V that used to be on tape as a
threat, rather I welcome it. For one thing, we don't spend countless
man-hours (legally) reproducing and selling tapes.

Students prefer to use our lab even for those online assignments for
various reasons. These include the fact that we are the only lab that
has headphones (and decent ones at that--with mikes if they need
them) on all the machines, we guarantee that all the plug-ins,
software etc. are installed and work (our campus IT refuses to
install RealPlayer on the Windows machines on campus), etc. I am also
looking into getting the license to stream some of the material
ourselves, but making it available to just our own students.
Publisher websites/streaming servers are often overtaxed, cranky, and
the tech support unresponsive. They would be smart to let individual
campuses set up their own, dedicated parallel streaming servers.

The simple fact is, even if you are not developing your own stuff on
site, you can tailor your lab to the specific needs of language
students in a way many campus-wide IT departments don't care to mess
with themselves. Furthermore, you can help your faculty adapt general
instructional technology ideas to the specific needs of language
pedagogy.

What you may lose in physical traffic, you may gain or even double in
virtual services.

Scott

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.