LLTI Archives

February 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:36:09 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Dennis D. Magnuson" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:56:22 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: "Dennis D. Magnuson" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7807 placement test  Placing incoming students

LLTI Colleagues and others interested in Language Placement,

Like many other institutions, Luther College for many years faced
this problem of false beginners--we used to call them
"sand-baggers--who filled up our lower level courses, especially the
beginning level.  The problem, as we ultimately discovered, was that
we merely stated that a student had to take ANY number of credits in
a second language, regardless of where they started.

As a result, we too had "non-language types" just taking the 101/102
steps (maybe adding 201 or 202).  The consequences were that we would
have, say for Spanish, 7 sections of 101, 4-5 of 102, and 2 or 3 of
Sp 201.

Several years ago we made some curricular changes and got faculty
support for a minimum second language requirement that stated the 3
semester course was needed for anyone who had studied at least one
year of that same language in high school.  In effect, it provided an
incentive for those students to complete their requirement with only
one course--but at the third semester level.  BTW, for those who wish
to take a new language, i.e., not continue with one that they had
studied in high school, the requirement is still 101 and 102.  That
allows for students to try languages that they might not have had in
high school (think Norwegian at Luther College!, though it could be
Italian, Russian, Hebrew, or a couple of others).

The result: we now have more or less flip-flopped our enrolments.
This past fall we had 3 sections of 101, 4 of 102, and 6 of 201 (we
have had as high as 7 of 201).

Although we have not totally deterred the false beginners, we feel
that we have made great strides toward a more normal pattern based on
entering high school backgrounds.

I have often thought that we might even add another item and state
that only those taking 201 or 202 would be considered for graduation
or departmental honors, though the politics in that kind of thinking
are not for the faint of heart.

In any event, to just state A MINIMUM will get just that.  Set the
bar "a bit" higher, and it just may give the kind of results that we
have experienced.

For those with a full two year language requirement (or higher), I
presume they may have even fewer problems than we used to.  I look
forward to reading how others have dealt with this problem of the
false beginner.

Dennis D. Magnuson
Assoc. Prof. of Spanish
Luther College