LLTI Archives

February 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:36:10 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:30:08 -0700
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7805 Mac mini, anybody?

I think the Mac mini could be a good lab machine.  While the small size
means that we would have to do _something_ to secure the machines, a small
security bracket or box would be easy to build.  Securing a laptop is more
difficult, because no surface or edge of the machine can be covered.  An
iMac presents a similar challenge, although one could bolt through the base
bracket, I suppose.  In contrast, the sides, top, bottom and more than half
of the front and back of the mini can be enclosed by the security device.
The rectangular shape of the mini makes it easier to fabricate the security
device.

Audio input for lab work has been an aggravation on Macs for years.  The
mini continues this.  Thankfully, USB input is a possibility.  The iMac's
built in mic can be adequate for some lab tasks, but many would prefer a
headset mic.

My question in choosing the mini over an iMac for a lab, is how much price
advantage would we realize?  The iMac with no drive is $1100, and with a
CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive, it costs $1200 (educational prices).  The mini
is $479.  Keyboard and mouse- $50-$100.  Add a monitor (flat panel, if
space is tight).  The smallest one that Apple sells currently is the 20",
for $899.  But you can find a 17" from another vendor for around $250-$350.
A rugged USB mic/headset might add another $50, which we could save with
the iMac, if its internal mic is sufficient.  Let's figure $50-$100 for the
security bracket.

So our mini is now going to cost $850-$1100+.  That's still a bit less than
the iMac, but the latter has a couple of pluses.  A better display, a G5
processor, a bigger hard drive, and easy serviceability.  On the mini,
adding memory or a wireless card is not for the faint of heart.  Using an
Apple Service provider is recommended.  The mini has only one memory slot,
so adding more memory means removing the current memory chips.  The iMac
has two slots, and ships with one empty.  Adding memory, bluetooth,
wireless can all be done by the owner, that is, by the lab director or
technician.

The mini could save a little money.  The iMac offers some advantages at a
higher price.  I think they both could be good lab machines.  I'm planning
on iMacs for our next lab, which we will be ordering equipment for later in
the Spring.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center