LLTI Archives

February 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:18:39 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:45:12 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7807.1 placement test  Placing incoming students (!)

Yale will institute a new version of its FL requirement next fall that
includes some provisions similar to those at Luther College.  Incoming
students who have studied a language in high-school and want to fulfill the
FLR in that language will take placement tests;  those who can place into a
second-semester course or higher will have to pass the fourth-semester
course, but those who place into a first-semester course will only have to
pass a third-semester course.  This still allows for the possibility that
false beginners will deliberately do poorly on the placement test so that
they will place into a first-semester course, figuring that doing semesters
1-2-3 will be easier on their GPA than doing semesters 2-3-4.  However, the
departments offering the commonly taught languages are arranging to offer
second-semester courses in the fall, so that when teachers spot the
sand-baggers (love that term!) they can push them out into second-semester
courses so that they will still have to complete the fourth-semester course.

Students who wish to fulfill the FLR in a language they've never had any
exposure to will have to pass a third-semester course.  (Yale offers 50
languages, 27 of them with at least a four-semester sequence.)

Major new proviso:  Up until this year, students coming in with a language
AP score of 4 or 5 were considered to have automatically fulfilled the
FLR.  From now on, even these students will be required (1) to take one
semester of a language course at an advanced level or (2) to pass a
second-semester course in a different language.  I.e., no students will be
allowed to "place out" of all language study at Yale.  Interestingly, our
research has shown that in the past 4 years, 87% of these "place-out"
students took language courses anyway -- either advanced work in the AP
language, or a new language, or both.

We're looking forward to tracking the results of the new FLR in all its
complexity....

         Best,
                 Nina

Nina Garrett, Director