LLTI Archives

February 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:18:36 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Jonathan White" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Jonathan White" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: RE: #7805 Mac mini, anybody?
>Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:01:49 +0000

I've been looking at the Mac Mini off and on for our labs, as I anticipate
that it could kill off the eMac if the Mini catches on.

I'd say they're not a bad deal at all.  A Mini w/ 512MB RAM and a
keyboard/mouse comes to ~$600, plus another ~$225 for a 15" LCD.  Not too
bad, and only slightly (~$10 by my calculations) more than a comparable
eMac.  (If you wanna go super-cheap, you could do some 3rd party kbd/mouse
and a no-name LCD and save about $50) Personally, I much prefer an eMac
because it's so much harder to tuck under your coat and walk off with.  But
if the eMac were supplanted in Apple's lineup by the Mini, I wouldn't be
terribly upset.  The lack of memory expansion's a bit of a disadvantage, for
sure, but not a huge one.

For security, despite my reservations about its portability, I'm sure the
Mini, like the eMac, supports kensington locks.  And for desk space, I see
no reason to not put the LCD right on top of the mini.  LCD footprints are
about the same size as the mini, and the reason Apple suggests that you
avoid putting stuff on top is that it's bad news for your wireless signal
(the antenna's on the top of the case, I gather).

So anyway, my ponit is that if you're looking to get a low-cost computer in
a small footprint, the Mini looks like a great deal.  A good $400 cheaper
than an iMac, without taking up much more space.  And as for g4 vs g5, and
superdrive (which is a built-to-order option in the mini), while a g5 and
superdrive may be important for a development station, are these things
really necessary for student stations?  For us, since our student stations
are used primarily for viewing (not producing) A/V materials, doing some
basic sound recording (we use USB headsets from Plantronics, ~$65 a piece),
office apps and the web, low-end specs are all we need.   Do many of you out
there find that you need high-end equipment for your student stations?  What
sort of activities do your students do in class that necessitate this power?

My one warning re: the Mini is something I say about all new Mac models (and
new PC form factors as well) -- beware Rev. A.  The first revision of a new
product, be it hardware or software, is always more liable to problems, as
all the kinks have yet to be discovered by the consuming masses and worked
out by the manufacturer.  The first batch of eMacs, for example, had a very
high video failure rate that was corrected a few months later.

I wish you luck in your renovation/upgrade, and if you do opt for the Minis,
let us all know about your experience, as real-world knowledge beats idle
speculation any day. :-)

Jonathan White
BU - CELOP

ps - if your old CRT iMacs barely fit your space, be sure to measure the
available width -- most new computers (eMac, iMac, and mini+LCD alike) are
likely to take up more room side-to-side than the old iMacs due to the
bigger monitors.