LLTI Archives

February 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:36:35 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Wolfgang E. Adolph" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:31:32 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: "Wolfgang E. Adolph" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7791.7 Oral testing in lab -text to voice

Hi,

some time ago I asked to get a demo account on edufolio, and just now had
time to check some of the features - nice.
But what blew me away was their text to voice implementation.
I simply copied a page of German text which I use as a sight reading
asignment from Word into the little window and clicked on the German male
voice. From previous experiences I expected a bad artificial voice
struggling with the text. The result was, that within about 10 seconds I
heard a very good oral rendition of my text - a little too fast maybe, and
some pauses should have been more marked. But considering, that I have not
read their manual, and the whole process took about 3 minutes, it was quite
amazing.

Anybody who is looking at text to voice should have a look at this
implementation.

Wolfgang
PS - No I have no connection with the company or their products.

At 04:40 PM 2/14/2005, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from "Brandon S. Lee" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Subject: RE: #7791 Oral testing in lab
> >Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:34:30 -0500
> >From: "Brandon S. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>
>Marcella,
>
>I taught a course at UNC-Chapel Hill last year where we got rid of tapes
>and decreased in-class time by using technology extensively.  I replaced
>most of the in-class repetitive exercises with web-based recordings,
>recorded videos of the students that we put online, and did 90% of the
>homework online.
>
>If you would like to see the course I taught, I set up a fake user
>account that you (or anybody else) can use to see what it looks like.

>Login:  [log in to unmask]
>Password:       llti
>
>There are two courses: French 21 and French 2X.  The 2X course has quite
>a bit of recorded material.  You can click on the assessments to the
>right to see them/try them out.  The French 21 course shows extensive
>use of the discussion forums.  Some of the audio from student
>presentations is not great, but that is because they recorded from a
>laptop with no external microphone.  I required that they have a $5
>microphone, but some didn't buy it.  For group work, the external mic is
>recommended.  For their individual assignments, the built-in mics on the
>laptops worked fine.
>
>You need Flash Player 6+ to hear/record audio.
>
>Regards,
>Brandon

Wolfgang E. Adolph
Fac. Coord. for Computer Issues
Department of Mod. Lang. & Linguistics - DIF 316
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL 32306
(850) 644-8192/681-0635
(850) 644-0524 fax
http://www.fsu.edu/~modlang/

Die Unsterblichkeit ist nicht jedermanns Sache. (Goethe)

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.