LLTI Archives

February 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:13:29 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Hiroyo Saito <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:00:26 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Hiroyo Saito <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: placement test
>HC-Host: Message scanned by NISC4, Networking & Systems, Haverford College,
Haverford, PA 19041 [v011]
>HC-MailScanner: Found to be clean
>HC-SpamReport: not spam (whitelisted), SpamAssassin (score=0.001, required 1,
HTML_MESSAGE 0.00)

Hello,

The Spanish department asked me to post this message.

"The department of Spanish is contemplating the possibility of
changing our placement procedure for next year. We would like to know
if other language departments at other institutions have specific
policies related to the selection of students at the beginning level.
Do, for instance, some of these universities require a minimum score
at the placement test for students who have already been exposed to
the language at the high school level?"

The Spanish department has been placing students who have taken
Spanish in high school but who do not get a minimum score for the
intermediate class in the placement test into the beginner's level
along with students who have never taken Spanish before.
The number of students in the beginner's level has been increasing
and they do not have enough staff members to create a new class for
false beginners. They do not want to set a minimum score for the
beginner's level because they do not want to close to the door to the
students who have never taken Spanish before. They would like to
accept the true beginners, but they would like to limit the number of
false beginners somehow. They are seeking ideas which allow them to
do this.
If you have any experience in similar situations, please let me know.
I would appreciate your inputs.
Thank you.
Hiroyo

--