LLTI Archives

February 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:13:28 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:31:12 -0600 (CST)
>Subject: still trying to burn files larger than 2 gigs to DVD
>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]

Is there really nobody on this list that knows the answer to this . . . ?

I submitted this query about 3 weeks ago and received only one response
that was very helpful in confirming what I have already tried, but which
did not, unfortunately, provide any new leads.

----- query -----

I am trying to burn *very large* .mov video files to *data* DVDs that will
be read by both Mac and PC platforms.

I am trying to burn them on a Mac dual G4 processor (OS 10.2.8) with Toast
6 Titanium and an external FireWire Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-107D burner.

Which of the Toast burn options:
Mac & PC
ISO 9660
Custom Hybrid
will allow me to burn a single file of 3-4 Gigs that can be read on both
Mac and PC platforms?

Using older versions of Toast in the past, I have run into the 2 Gig
ceiling (apparently FAT16 and or FAT32 limitations?) on the PC side which
cuts the larger files off at 1.99 Gig and renders them unreadable (on a
Dell box running XP) - even though on the Mac side the files show the full
4 Gig size and are fully readable.

At this point, I will even consider using a PC platform (running XP) for
the burning, provided a Mac will also read the finished data DVD.  I will
also consider software other than Toast (Nero on the PC side?).

Mac or PC, readable on both Mac and PC

Any help (on-list or off-list) will be appreciated.

Mark Lauersdorf

Dr. Mark R. Lauersdorf
Assistant Professor of Modern Languages
Director, Norwegian e-Learning Project