LLTI Archives

February 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:31:11 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Marcella Rollmann <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 20:53:18 -0330 (NST)
>From: Marcella Rollmann <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Oral testing in lab

Dear Colleagues, we would like to hear about your successes or failures
with oral testing in a computer lab. What hardware, software, etc. worked
or didn't work.

We currently have two labs:  a cassette lab for listening/speaking
practice and oral testing, and a digital lab, which we have used mostly
for writing / grammar practice. We are in the process of phasing out the
cassette lab, since there are more and more materials available with audio
components for computer labs. We are wondering, however, how we are going
to accomplish oral testing in the computer lab. We test hundreds of
students at the end of each semester in the cassette lab. The students
hear about 10 recorded questions and have to respond, recording their
answers. There is also a listening comprehension component, but we foresee
no problem with that. We then collect the tapes and listen to them on tape
recorders in our offices. How will we replace this kind of testing with
computers?  Could we even use a video clip for each question and have the
students respond to that rather than just an audio clip? Someone has
suggested WebCt might work as the management tool. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for any help!
Marcella Rollmann
Assistant Professor
Department of German