LLTI Archives

February 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:07:03 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Richard Laden" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Richard Laden" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: ADVTSG re oral testing
>Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:31:30 -0800

Since we've done virtually no advertising yet, I may be doing readers at
cash-constrained institutions a service by pointing out that our LangLab
software is a product with considerably greater functionality than free
voice recorders usable for file exchange, but costs much less than the major
systems mentioned so far in this discussion. LangLab is cross-platform (it
runs under Mac OS X as well as under Windows) and is usable over a campus
LAN or the Internet  as well as in a lab. It offers listen-and-record
functionality (integrating student responses with model utterances to
facilitate easy comparison and evaluation), real-time monitoring of students
and interaction with them, the ability to insert comments as feedback
anywhere in students' recordings, and authoring tools for importing and
editing existing audio materials or creating new ones. In large measure
because of current limitations of Java, LangLab doesn't yet handle video and
lacks some other useful functions we hope to add as additional Java tools
become available. On the other hand, our pricing is less onerous than the
figure of $150,000 mentioned for 40 student stations and three teacher
stations; we'd charge $12,640 for the 43 stations. Interested readers might
look at www.elanglab.com, which will let you download and try out a
fully-functional demo version.

     --Richard Laden