LLTI Archives

February 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:24:35 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Henry Wilmer <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:50:46 -0500
>Subject: Re: #7791 Oral testing in lab
>From: Henry Wilmer <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Hi,

We use the entirely digital Sony Virtuoso for teacher machines and Soloist
on student machines.  Testing is a snap.  The teacher can ask questions
directly via microphone to headset and control the student machines remotely
for recording.  The teacher can send images, film clips, and audio along
with the questions. Tests can also be prerecorded.  Collection is a snap
using the "Collect Student Work" button.  Clicking this sends all student
recordings to a folder you predetermine.

Students ever have to touch the mouse or keyboard except to log in and
"attend" their machine to the teacher console.  After that, they put on the
earphones and concentrate on their task.  Teachers can lock the keyboard and
blank the screens if they so choose.

A good lab, but pricey (40 stations and three teacher machines with various
accoutrements for $150,00 US.)