LLTI Archives

February 2005, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:58:50 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Ambra Neri <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 10:18:30 +0100
>From: Ambra Neri <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: #7777.3 Pronunciation evaluation
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Dear Ying,

if you're only interested in pronunciation evaluation, the Talk to me
version is enough and cheaper. It contains the same speaking/pronunciaiton
exercises as the Tell me More series. Tell Me More is the complete program
with vocab and grammar too.
Bear in mind that, while this program is probably the best one available
for German, it is not clear what pronunciation aspect the algorithm in it
evaluates and how it does it. As a consequence, it is not clear what the
score (represented as seven little bricks) is about (speech rate,
disfluencies, acoustic quality of single sounds...?). Besides, I suggest
you switch off the option that displays the waveforms, since they are only
confusing and do not provide any meaningful feedback on the quality of your
pronunciation. The pitch display and the red letters are, on the contrary,
undoubtedly useful.

cheers
Ambra

>--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

> >Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:47:29 -0500 (EST)
> >Subject: Re: LLTI Digest - 28 Jan 2005 to 31 Jan 2005 (#2005-16)
> >From: [log in to unmask]
> >To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>
>I'll second the TELL ME MORE series. I used the French levels this summer
>at the University of Perpignan (Fr) and it is very good. Also, FYI Barbara
>Lafford had an excellent review of TMM-Spanish in the September 2004 issue
>of Language Learning and Technology (she is using the Spn version
>(Arizona)). The product has been available for some time (auralog.org) and
>is available in several languages, including Arabic. Where have we been???
>
>Deborah Cordier
>USF SLAIT PhD

> > Date:    Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:22:36 EST
> > From:    LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject: Re: #7777.1 Pronunciation evaluation software for German (!)
> >
> > --- Forwarded Message from Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]> ---

> >>Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:39:50 -0500
> >>Subject: Re: #7777 Pronunciation evaluation software for German
> >>From: Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]>
> >>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
> >
> > Dear Ying,
> >
> > I would suggest having a look at Tell Me More German. It makes quite
> > effective use of voice recognition technology.  It's not perfect, but it
> > is
> > one of the best implementations around. Jack
> >
> > --
> > Jack Burston, Ph.D.
> > Director
> > Foreign Language Technology Center
> > College of Liberal Arts
> > Rochester Institute of Technology
> > Rochester, NY 14623-5604

Ambra Neri - Ph.D Student
Dept. of Language & Speech               http://lands.let.ru.nl
Radboud University of Nijmegen           Tel: +31-24-3616045
P.O. Box 9103                                    Fax: +31-24-3612907
6500 HD Nijmegen
The Netherlands

!! The university of Nijmegen has become the Radboud University Nijmegen
!! My email address has changed to [log in to unmask]

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.