LLTI Archives

February 2005, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 15:42:40 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:39:36 -0600
>From: "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Moving from Placement to Proficiency

Dear LLTIers,

My university has used the BYU placement exam for years to help place
students into the appropriate language course. Now a new chapter has
started. We need to start testing proficiency not only for placement,
but to determine if students are knowledgeable enough to be exempt from
having to take additional courses.

This means that in the past only students who were motivated to take
the exam (happily) did so. Now we will soon have to test 5 times the
number of students, many of whom will not be happy at the prospect of
having to take language courses.

My other thought is that our placement exam is not adequate to really
test competency when the stakes for the student are this high. I feel we
need to incorporate a listening component at the least, perhaps a
speaking component, if feasible.

If any of you have made such a daunting transition, or have advice
about the mechanics of testing large numbers of students in various
languages when "exemption" is at stake, I would really like to hear from
you. Please share your thoughts here or with me personally at

Thank you.
David Pankratz
Loyola University Chicago

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.