LLTI Archives

February 2005, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:59:05 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Duncan Charters <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:16:02 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Duncan Charters <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7741.1 Multi-standard VCRs? (!)

I have confirmed both from our own model and from suppliers that the
Samsung SV-5000W has always played and recorded in French Secam, and this
type of machine should always do that as it's designed to be universal.  So
the problem must be unique to the individual machine or a particular tape.

While on the topic, it seems that fewer machines than ever play French
Secam, which is the most demanding technically, even more than Middle East
Secam.  So one has to be careful when purchasing as some people have found
to their surprise that the model they bought does not work with French
Secam, and that experience could be the source of the report.  Toshiba had
a model specially designed for French Secam that worked quite well for us
with a converter or multi-standard TV, but they don't any more.  I got a
Panasonic for French Secam a while back and it works fine, but it cost
around $189 and was only a 2-head machine (not good for stills).

The SV-5000W should do the job for a converting VCR.  For playing or
recording through a converter or multi-standard TV, there is a new machine
available, the Sharp VC-AA570, a 4-head model that can handle French Secam,
PAL and NTSC.  World Gift Center has this one at $189.99 + $1 for the plug
adaptor.

Duncan

Dr. Duncan Charters
Professor, Language Department
Principia College, Elsah, IL 62028-9799
Telephone: (618) 374-5252    Fax: (618) 374-5465
E-mail: <[log in to unmask]>

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.