LLTI Archives

January 2005, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:56:05 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Otmar K. Foelsche ---

>Date: 27 Jan 2005 13:21:41 EST
>From: Otmar K. Foelsche
>Subject: WordChamp website
>To: LLTI-Editor

--- Forwarded Message from "Daniel Blumenthal" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Daniel Blumenthal" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: WordChamp website
>Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:18:44 -0500

I would like to announce the launch of the WordChampT website
(www.wordchamp.com <BLOCKED::BLOCKED::http://www.wordchamp.com> ) for
language learning. Using WordChampT, students can learn vocabulary quickly
and effectively, read foreign websites without translating the sites to
English, find examples of usage, and much more.

Years ago while studying Spanish in high school, I wished I had a more
effective way of memorizing vocabulary. So I wrote a little computer program
to test myself. Later, when studying Japanese in college and graduate
school, I rewrote the program (twice) to handle issues peculiar to that
language. When studying French several years later, I rewrote it again, and
once more when taking night classes in Spanish. WordChampT is the result of
seventeen years of trial and error in developing a system to learn
vocabulary efficiently, and includes the following features:

*       Six different types of vocabulary drills

*       Audio is integrated into every drill, so that students hear native
speakers pronouncing the vocabulary while they are practicing

*       Vocabulary lists can be easily created, edited, and shared

*       Here is a link to a page which will demonstrate the different test
types (available in French, German, Japanese, and Spanish):
http://www.wordchamp.com/lingua/QuickDemoSetup.do
<BLOCKED::BLOCKED::http://www.wordchamp.com/lingua/QuickDemoSetup.do>

*       Website decoding

*       Students are able to decode any foreign website. Words that are
recognized by WordChamp are highlighted, and a translation shown only if the
student rolls over it with the mouse cursor. Words from the website can be
added to a list to be learned later. This is a great feature, and really has
to be seen to be believed. Here is an example using Le Monde:
http://www.wordchamp.com/lingua/WebsiteDisplayAction.do?urlStr=http%3A%2F%2F
www.lemonde.fr
<BLOCKED::BLOCKED::http://www.wordchamp.com/lingua/WebsiteDisplayAction.do?u
rlStr=http://www.lemonde.fr>

*       Although this feature works with most languages, it is most useful
in French, Spanish, and Japanese, due to the volume of vocabulary available
for these languages in WordChampT. German content is actively being
developed.

*       Reference

*       Verb Conjugations - Conjugation charts are available for thousands
of French and Spanish verbs, a list which is constantly being expanded
(German verbs are next).

*       Dictionary - Translations are available for tens of thousands of
words.

*       Examples of usage - Quotes from classic literature are displayed
alongside word definitions.

*       Audio clips - Currently, we have a library of over 12,500 audio
clips of native speakers in English, French, Spanish, Japanese, and German.
This library is being expanded on a daily basis.

I'm very interested in working directly with you to create content for your
students based specifically on your curricula. If you're interested in
learning more, please contact me at (617) 332-5193.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Daniel Blumenthal
President
GlobaLinguist, Inc.
(617) 332-5193
[log in to unmask] <BLOCKED::BLOCKED::mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.wordchamp.com <BLOCKED::BLOCKED::http://www.wordchamp.com>

P.S. Please note that WordChampT has been designed from the ground up to
work with all languages, and has been successfully tested with Italian,
Korean, Arabic, and Hebrew, in addition to the languages mentioned above.