LLTI Archives

January 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:36:19 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Pete Smith <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Pete Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Earworms for Ed Dente
>Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:39:34 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

        Greetings all!  When I first saw this citation in another list I read,
my immediate thought was:  "Ed Dente has made the New York Times.  Lord
help us all!"

                Word as Earworm:
                http://nytimes.com/2005/01/11/health/11side.html?ex=1263186000

        Thankfully, the topic was *not* earwigs.  (See above-uttered prayer.)
Earworms, the article explains, are those tunes that lodge themselves
in your consciousness, in a loop of sorts, with little hope to
eradicate them.
        As I read the piece, I thought it even more appropriate an article to
share when I noted that one of the earworm examples cited is a melody
from, you guessed it Ed, Don Giovanni!
        Hopefully this will bring back good memories of IALL '99 and Ursula
Williams for a few of you, and Happy 2005 to you all!

Pete

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.