LLTI Archives

January 2005, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:10:23 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:27:58 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7751 Copyright: Can Instructors Record Their Audio to Accompany

> I have a few simple questions to ask: 1. Can foreign language
> instructors
> record their voice to accompany textbooks or workbooks which are not
> accompanied by audio and ask the LLC to stream the audio files from
> its
> password protected web site?

Since the material itself was prepared in written format by another
individual (author of workbook/textbook), then copyright permission
is still required.  However, presumably if the students would still
need the textbook or workbook for the audio to be of any use,
copyright permission shouldn't be too difficult to obtain as the
production of the audio would not constitute a loss of profit or
sales for the publisher.

>2. If the textbooks are accompanied by
> audio
> files, can we record own version and host on our password protected
> website

The attempt to get past copyright by doing this is not wise as it
does still constitute copyright infringement in most cases if not in
all.  (The one arguable exception that I can think of is a simple
word list that is being reconstituted in a very different way. Some
may argue that that too would be problematic.)  Again, though, I
would greatly question what the motivation would be.  If the plan
were to make the material available over a password protected server
with streamed audio, then copyright permission is usually possible.

Good luck with your endeavours.  I wish you all the best.

Deanne Cobb
University of Regina

> Our professors found that other instructors at other universities
> have
> done so. The audio files are not password protected even though
> there is
> audio to accompany the textbook.
>
> Thank you for your input.
>

> Fuqiang Zhuo, Ed.D.
> Director of Language Learning Center
> UC Davis

>  LLTI is a service of IALLT, the International Association for
> Language Learning, and The Consortium for Language Teaching and
> Learning (http://consortium.dartmouth.edu).
> Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.
> Otmar Foelsche, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])

Deanne Cobb
Language Lab Manager
Language Resource Centre
University of Regina