LLTI Archives

January 2005, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:30:34 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 08:42:44 -0600
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7754 Wireless Computers in the Clasroom

We have a fair amount of experience here, and you've identified the
number one issue with using wireless in the classroom.

In the beginning (hmmm...), we took the devices to the classroom and
set them up.  We wanted to know the process so we could develop training
materials.  What we learned was that (a) instructors immediately became
dependent on us, and wouldn't learn enough about the devices to be self
sufficient, and (b) there are enough "gotchas" in connecting with and
using wireless that inordinate amounts of class time could be spent just
trying to get things to work.  For many instructors, this made it not
worth the effort.  In some cases, "resistant" students would even mess
things up on purpose to make the planned 15-minute activity consume the
entire class period.  However, in some classes, things worked very well
and the instructors and students are very happy.

Off the top of my head, here are a few things we've learned and plan to
address:
1.  We created tutorials for the students.  They come to the lab and
work with a device (remember, we're using handhelds, probably more than
regular laptops) prior to their class period.  We notice that those who
have done the tutorials are right on task, and it's very evident when a
student hasn't done the tutorial.

2.  Instructor buy-in is extremely important.  We can't say enough
about this.  If the instructor knows what he/she wants to do and why,
the enthusiasm and firm direction rubs off on the students.  Things tend
to go more smoothly in these cases.

3.  Instructor preparation is equally important.  Too many instructors
seem to view the activities (often chat exercises) as something to fill
some time, and don't prepare students prior to the activity, nor follow
up and integrate what they're doing after the activity.

4.  We're dismayed at how unwilling some instructors are to learn about
the devices themselves.  We feel they could do it on their own, if
they'd only try.  We're also working on strategies they can use, such as
identifying a couple of students who can help other students when there
are problems.  Again, regular faculty who do this seem to have fewer
problems (it's their idea) than TAs teaching sections of a course where
their coordinator has told them to do it.  Getting everyone on board is
one of our challenges.

5.  We're also working on making the wireless component as bullet-proof
as possible.  This isn't easy since the OS and devices aren't real good
at making things bullet-proof.  Finding the strongest signal, connecting
and staying connected, etc., are not always easy.  Sometimes, for
example, we can get 22 students connected just fine, but two can't
connect.  Those two disrupt the whole process since you can't proceed
unless everyone's connected.  We take a couple of extra devices and try
to just quickly get them on, but that doesn't always work either.

Having listed some of the issues, and thus far sounding rather
negative, I should say that on the whole the experiences have been
positive.  In extensive surveys we have found that generally both
students and instructors are very positive about what they have been
able to do with wireless devices.  That positive almost 100% correlates
with instructor buy-in.

And back to your original question <grin>...  we are BOTH the
instructional technology and technology support persons.

I hope this has been of some help.  I'd be glad to chat on the phone or
to follow up here if you have questions.

Read Gilgen
Director
L&S Learning Support Services
University of Wisconsin - Madison
(608) 262-1408
http://lss.wisc.edu

--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: RE: LLTI Digest - 17 Dec 2004 to 21 Dec 2004 (#2004-139)
>Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:36:53 -0500

We have just begun to use wireless computers in some of our classrooms,
and
are trying to figure out the "best practices" for maintenance and
troubleshooting.  The computers are kept in a locked room, in a
wireless
cart, and can be reserved by faculty for specific times and rooms.  We
deliver the cart to the requested room and leave it there, then pick it
up
after the class is over.

One of the big challenges we've discovered during the course of our
pilot
program is that of troubleshooting the computers when they're in the
classroom.  As some of you probably know from your own experience,
there's a
fairly wide divide between Instructional Technology and User Services
(the
Helpdesk).  While neither group has any particular expertise with
wireless--we're all learning as we go--Instructional Technology folks
tend
to concentrate on the pedagogy of using the equipment, where User
Services
concentrates on the hardware.

What do other schools do?  Who's on the "front line" when it comes to
classroom calls for wireless problems?

Thanks.  And have a great holiday season!

Cheers,
Sue

Susan Breeyear
Assistant Director, IT