LLTI Archives

December 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:38:55 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:19:07 -0500
>From: "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7727 Tablet PCs

As a personal item a tablet PC is fantastic. I own a Compaq TC1000 and
love it. It's an older machine, and  very, very slow, but the form
factor provides certain benefits that conventional laptops do not (i.e.
you can read your morning paper the way you *used to* read your morning
paper.)

I also know that the library here at Loyola loans them out to students.

That said, there is a certain amount of training necessary before one
can begin using a tablet PC in tablet mode. And it takes a while to get
used to the handwriting recognition engine (and to learn to call-up and
navigate the various onscreen keyboards). Because of this, to be honest,
if I were going to buy laptops for the lab, I'd probably just go with
conventional clamshell designs. They're also a whole lot cheaper than
most tablet-PCs.

David Flores
Director: Language Learning Center
Loyola College in Maryland
4501 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21210
Ph: (410) 617-5230
Fax: (410) 617 2859

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/29/04 04:35PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Jianxiong Wu <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:55:47 -0600 (CST)
>From: Jianxiong Wu <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Tablet PCs

We are in the process of upgrading our wireless PC laptop lab and are
considering switching to tablet PCs.  Does anyone out there have any
experience with a tablet PC lab or simply tablet PCs in a lab
setting?  What are the pros and cons of tablet PCs?  What do you use
them
for?  What brand and model are you using and what would you recommend?
We
will appreciate it very much if you can share your experience with us.

Jian Wu
CLA Language Center
University of Minnesota

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.