LLTI Archives

December 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 13:44:02 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:43:50 -0700
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>, Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7742 Arabic keyboard overlay

Hi, Jack,

I like your idea of using removable keyboard overlays to help students type
with different virtual keyboards.  Plain, transparent keyboard overlays,
intended to remain in place while typing, and protect the keyboard from
coffee spills and the like, can be found for some standard PC QWERTY
keyboards.  But, as you mention, I haven't seen full keyboard overlays with
foreign characters printed on them.

Perhaps you could apply a set of Arabic keyboard stickers to a plain
keyboard overlay.  I can imagine two possible problems- the stickers might
not stick well to the plastic of the overlay, and the combination of the
two plastic layers might be too thick for effective typing.  But it might
be worth a try.   The advantage of this approach is that you could choose
the desired virtual keyboard, and then arrange the stickers to match that
layout.

If one were skilled in calligraphy, it might be possible to draw the
characters on the clear plastic overlay with indelible marker.

Derek

>> Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:03:23 -0500
>> Subject: Arabic keyboard overlay
>> From: Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I'm writing to see if anyone can recommend a keyboard overlay for Arabic
> on a standard PC QWERTY keyboard. I've had a look on the web and have
> only seen keyboard stickers.  Do full removable (plastic?) keyboard
> overlays exist? What I had in mind was to purchase a couple that could be
> used by students in the lab when required then removed and returned when
> they are through with it. Presumably there are variant Arabic keyboard
> layouts (e.g., Algerian, AQWERTY, etc.).  Is there one in particular that
> would be recommended?  Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can
> give.  Jack
>
> --
> Jack Burston, Ph.D.
> Director
> Foreign Language Technology Center
> College of Liberal Arts
> Rochester Institute of Technology
> Rochester, NY 14623-5604

>  LLTI is a service of IALLT, the International Association for
> Language Learning, and The Consortium for Language Teaching and
> Learning (http://consortium.dartmouth.edu).
> Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.
> Otmar Foelsche, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico