LLTI Archives

December 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:25:51 EST
--- Forwarded Message from James Hogg <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:00:22 -0500
>From: James Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7745 How to fix ripped audio tape?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

What you are looking for is called splicing tape. I haven't thought
about it for years. My first thought would be RadioShack, so your story
about checking there is funny, in a sad sort of way. Sort of like
seeing 70s music specials during PBS fund raisers. The audience looks
like those really old people dancing to Big Band music when I was a
kid. (But I like Big Band music more than most 70s music.)

I did a search and found a site that has what you are looking for. In
the old days people would splice tape for edits. They'd use a splice
block to cut an angle in each end of the tape they'd want to splice
together. Then use splicing tape. If I were you, I'd make a careful cut
with a pair of good scissors, splice the ends together with one
splicing tab found on the page I've linked. Looks like 105 tabs for
about $20. Put the tab on the backside of the tape.

http://www.usrecordingmedia.com/splictaptaba.html

if you don't want to buy these tabs, you could use scotch tape if you
are careful to trim the edges so they don't get caught in you tape
deck.

What ever you do, after making the splice, record your tape to a CD.
Keep the tape, but don't use it.