LLTI Archives

December 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:25:50 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Steve & Laura Spinella" <[log in to unmask]>
---

>From: "Steve & Laura Spinella" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "LLTI-Editor" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7745.1 How to fix ripped audio tape?(!)
>Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:54:25 +0800

I believe "Scotch" tape is the correct kind. 3m magic tape, which has a
matte finish, for instance, is durable, compatible, and quite thin. The
"special tape" available commercially is generally colored rather than clear
(to make it easier to see what you are doing), and most importantly if
you're making a lot of splices, available in a width slightly smaller than
the tape you are splicing (so you don't have to trim it by hand).

-It is better for the tape to be slightly narrow at the splice, but
definitely not wider, so that it will wind smoothly.
-It is important that the stickly side of the adhesive splicing tape be
totally adhered to the mylar (recording tape) so that none sticks out when
you're done.
-If you are doing it by hand, first overlap the two ends, make a diagonal
cut (for speech, perhaps vertical/cross-wise cut for music or video:
diagonal cuts are more durable, vertical cuts provide less noise for music
or video, but are less durable) through both pieces of tape. Later throw
away the waste.
-Next, join the two ends butting against each other with the "scotch" tape
on the non-playing side of the tape (away from the recording heads). One way
to do this without a splicing block is to expose a piece of scotch tape
sticky side up. Lay one end of tape on it, non playing side down. Then match
the other end (to be joined in the splice) to it. Finally use a razor or
scissors to trim away all exposed scotch tape (and perhaps the very edge of
the recording tape to be sure you are not wide.)

If you're doing more than a couple repairs, you can purchase a small
machined block with a channel that will hold the tape in place while you
splice it and lay down the "scotch tape". You need one for each width tape
if you do this. There are two grooves in it to run a straight edge razor for
your cuts, either diagonal or vertical.

Good luck!

Dr. Steve Spinella
Ta Yi Street, Lane 29, #18, 2F-1, Taichung 404, TAIWAN
011 886 4 2236-6145, of 2236-1901, fx 2236-2109, cell 9 2894-0514
USA: 9685 Otero Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80920, 719.528.1702, cell
719.640.1261
TEAM, PO Box 969, Wheaton, IL 60189, 800 343-3144
<www.team.org.tw/spinella>, <www.team.org.tw/ccg> <[log in to unmask]>