LLTI Archives

December 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:43:00 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Vito Brondolo" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Vito Brondolo" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: Foreign keyboards
>Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:30:17 -0500

Talking of foreign keyboards....

Last summer I bougth an Italian one in Italy for 7 euros and installed it on
one of the PCs in our lab.

I think it is a cute idea to have foreign keyboards available in US language
labs. They help create a language-friendly environment where students can
actually use a piece of technology from the foreign culture.

I have nothing against virtual/international keyboards of course, but the
occasional Italian/Spanish/French/Arabic etc keyboard is a piece of realia
that also helps language students understand that things are different in
the rest of the world, just as not everybody speaks English in the rest of
the world.

Vito Brondolo

Director
Language Learning Center