LLTI Archives

December 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:42:55 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Roberto Perez <[log in to unmask]> ---

At 01:44 PM 12/9/04, Bernard Hobby wrote:

>My point is that keyboards are not expensive and if you only need 2 or three
>I would be happy to buy them for you and send them.  I believe I can find a
>noname keyboard for around $10 U.S.

When I came to the US I bought my first computer without a keyboard because
I wanted to get a Spanish one. The company (Compaq) offered to get me the
Spanish version of the keyboard from one of their manufacturing plants in
Texas that shipped to Mexico and Latin America. The price: around 90
dollars (!!). I then emailed someone I knew in Puerto Rico and she got a
noname Spanish keyboard for 12 dollars. So yes, they can be cheap if there
is a market in that place (e.g., Spanish keyboards in PR, Arabic keyboards
in Saudi Arabia). But in a place where those keyboards may be considered
"specialized", you need to watch out to avoid being ripped off, and you
need to shop around carefully to get a decent price.

Regards,

Roberto Perez

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.