LLTI Archives

December 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:16:25 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Sharon Scinicariello <[log in to unmask]>
---

>Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:59:40 -0500
>Subject: Re: #7733 Italian Proofing Tools
>From: Sharon Scinicariello <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum

Hi Zach,

Here the University puts Office on all faculty and Lab computers, but the
Language Lab budget has to cover the licenses for the extended proofing
tools for both the Lab computers and any faculty members who need them.
Cost depends on your school's licensing agreement with Microsoft.  There are
two problems with this system:  (1) it's difficult keeping track of which
faculty computers are using the licenses, particularly when they retire or
leave the University; and, (2) the Lab budget takes a large hit whenever
these licenses have to be renewed/replaced.  And, to be fair to the Mac
people who need proofing tools not in the standard Office distribution, the
Lab sometimes ends up buying third-party software to provide what the PC
Proofing Tools do.

Not an ideal system, but it does work.

Best,
Sharon
--
Sharon Scinicariello, Ph.D.
Director, Multimedia Language Laboratory