LLTI Archives

December 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:32:18 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Doug Worsham" <[log in to unmask]> ---

Subject: Re: #7727 Tablet PCs

We use Compaq tc1100 Tablet PCs when instructors need a mobile wireless computer
lab set up in a classroom (see -
http://lss.wisc.edu/facilities/labs/mobilecomp.htm ).

The small size of this device allows us to use it even in classrooms with very
limited desk space or with table-arm chairs. We've used these tablets for a
variety of Internet and AV activities, and both instructors and students have
been pleased with the results. We provide tutorials for the instructors and
students to get used to using the devices, and we've found that both groups find
the stylus, mouse, and keyboard easy to use.

Recently we've started experimenting with using the Tablets to teach non-Roman
scripts. We'll be piloting this over the next few semesters with Tibetan and
Urdu instructors. Our initial tests had the instructors very excited about the
possibilities, so we're looking forward to developing some lessons and trying
this out in the classroom. We're also experimenting with using the tablets in
discussion/lecture classes. We're currently testing them out in a science class,
and looking for more opportunities for experimentation next semester.

As for the cons, the tablets are a bit slower than comparably priced laptops,
but his speed difference doesn't seem to be enough to impact regular classroom
tasks. We've found that the small size and the possibilities for developing new
teaching techniques like those above have made up for the sacrifice in speed.

Doug

---
Doug Worsham
Foreign Language Technologist