LLTI Archives

November 2004, Week 5

From:
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:35:14 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:42:56 -0600
>To: LLTI <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ESL for literacy
>Disposition-Notification-To: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Return-Receipt-To: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>

I am teaching a class which is part of a new certificate in ESL
teaching here at the University and many of our students come from
the public school division.  Recently, the demographics of the ESL
students coming into our school division (Regina, SK, Canada) have
changed to see a greater number of refugee immigrants.  Often
times these students are illiterate in their first language and
have never had the opportunity for education.  As a result, there
are additional needs that need to be met in ESL teaching (apart
from the obvious social and psychological needs as well).

These students are integrated into regular classrooms of
appropriate age groups, with additional hours working with an ESL
resource person as well. One of the things that students hope to
get out of the courses, therefore, are creative ways for teachers to
work with these students, including through the use of technology (my
course in the series).  Students can range in age groups from
anywhere between grade 3 and adult, so ideas for any range of ages
would be appropriate. (Students do come younger than grade 3 as well,
but are generally not classified differently for the sake of teaching
because the division between their needs and regular ESL teaching needs
is not as great.)

I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience in teaching ESL
with students who are illiterate in their first language, and if you
would have any suggestions for resources in TELL teaching of these
groups (articles, software, internet sites, etc).

Thank you,
Deanne Cobb
Language Lab Manager
Language Resource Centre