LLTI Archives

November 2004, Week 5

From:
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:35:28 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Pat Rafferty <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:54:04 -0500
>From: Pat Rafferty <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7723 Yamakawa, anyone?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

I personally owned a Yamakawa 218 for about two years, and it was
completely region-free. I also believe it ignored Macrovision
copy-protection, but I never confirmed that. It was $60 and I bought it
at Coconuts. I recently upgraded to Philips DVP642 at Amazon, which is
also region-free and plays an even wider variety of video formats than
the Yamakawa did (and the Yamakawa played virtually everything I threw
at it).

In short, you can definitely find inexpensive region-free players, and
there's really no reason to shell out $200+ for one when there's free
software players for PCs and Macs, and cheap DVD players that work
great.

-pat.

Philips DVP642 @ Amazon.com [referral link]:
http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=twistedview02
-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B000204SWE

--- Message from Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]> ---

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.