LLTI Archives

November 2004, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:13:14 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:50:00 -0500
>From: "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7715 Watching Videos in the Lab

I know that Films for the Humanities & Sciences has separate licensing
fees for digital delivery of their stuff. One of the murky areas of
copyright law is whether the purchaser of a copyrighted work has the
right to "space shift" that work. In other words, do I as pruchaser have
the right to copy the material that I have purchased from one medium to
another. If I own a VHS tape of a program, am I legally allowed to
digitize it and put it on a DVD? The answer to that question is murky,
as far as I can tell. Personally, I believe that I should be able to. I
should not have to buy new copies of my stuff every time a new
video/audio standard comes out. Unfortunately, however, moneyed
interests basically own Congress (even moreso these days) and the trend
is to restrict the user's rights as much as possible while broadening
the restrictions that the copyright holder can place on the use and
distribution of the work in question. Don't even get me started on the
execrable piece of legislation that was  the Sonny Bono Copyright
Extension Act.

David Flores
Director: Language Learning Center
Loyola College in Maryland
4501 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21210
Ph: (410) 617-5230
Fax: (410) 617 2859

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/16/04 01:08PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Tom Browne <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:10:14 -0600
>From: Tom Browne <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Watching Videos in the Lab
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>To:  Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
<[log in to unmask]>,        LLTI-Editor

All,

I would like to pose a "hypothetical" question to lab people who have
video
on reserve in their facilities.  I know one of the ideas of "Fair Use"
is
that the copyright holder is not being deprived of any income.  If a
teacher assigns the students to go to their lab and watch a movie for
class discussion next week, individuals can go to the lab and watch
the
movie.  I think most of us would be willing to agree to providing this
service if we had the facilities.

Now, lets say, instead of having students check it out and watch it, it
was
digitized on a secure streaming server with password protection and
the
original put away.  Students can still come in and watch the video for
next
week$E2s discussion, just in a slightly different way.

Has anybody considered doing anything like this, hypothetically, of
course?

Tom Browne

Thomas Goodrich Browne
Humanities Resource Center