LLTI Archives

November 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:43:21 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:39:52 -0600
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7707.5 DISH Network (!)

Not to mention, of course, that some of SCOLA's materials are of dubious
provenance, and that the original sources are unlikely to come after you
for copying/archiving their material.  Further, most of the SCOLA stuff
is news programming, which often has less restrictive uses that other
types such as entertainment.

I should expect that stuff from Dish could be treated like other
off-air recordings in the fair use realm.

Again, I'm not a lawyer but I do believe we have an obligation to make
sure we don't surrender rights, thus creating de facto limitations.

--- Forwarded Message from Tom Browne <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:01:59 -0600
>From: Tom Browne <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7707.4 DISH Network (!)
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Although Dish Network may seem less expensive, they do not allow you to
copy
any of the programming.  Copying and Archiving the programming off of
Dish
Network
is probably Illegal since they don't own the copyright to any of the
programming.

SCOLA members  have full archival rights to all of the programming (for
as
long as you are a member).

Tom Browne

--On Tuesday, November 16, 2004 1:08 PM -0500 LLTI-Editor
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:rr

> --- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>> Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:58:33 -0600
>> From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Re: #7707 DISH Network
>
> Using the DVR that comes with Dish Network (at home), I can create
> recording "timers."  You can't be watching something else while it's
> recording.  However, any output from the DVR (I pass mine to my VCR
as
> well as to my TV), can be recorded at your leisure.
>
> I suspect TiVO would do the same thing.

> --- Forwarded Message from Jonathan Perkins <[log in to unmask]> ---

>> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:58:52 -0600
>> Subject: DISH Network
>> From: Jonathan Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: Language Learning and Technology International Information
Forum

> Although there has been quite a bit of discussion this year on DISH
> network,
> I was hoping someone might have some insight into a rather specific
> question.
>
> We have been using the SCOLA system for a few years now and
regularly
> record
> programming for faculty onto VHS tapes.  In an effort to go entirely
> digital, we are looking at DISH network as a cheaper alternative to
> SCOLA.
> Some quick research turned up some compatible Digital Video
Recorders,
> but I
> am unsure whether you can schedule recording times (it appears not)
or
> whether you can get the data from the DVR out into some other format
> that
> people can take with them.  Is anyone recording DISH network
> programming for
> faculty checkout?   If so, could you drop me a line with how you are
> accomplishing it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> JP

> Jonathan Perkins
> Associate Director
> Ermal Garinger Academic Resource Center
> University of Kansas
> 4069 Wescoe Hall
> 1445 Jayhawk Boulevard
> Lawrence KS 66045-7590
>
> Phone:  (785) 864-4782
> Fax: (785) 864-1256
>
> www.ku.edu/~egarc
> www.ku.edu/~language

>  LLTI is a service of IALLT, the International Association for
> Language Learning, and The Consortium for Language Teaching and
> Learning (http://consortium.dartmouth.edu).
> Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.
> Otmar Foelsche, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])

Thomas Goodrich Browne
Humanities Resource Center
Macalester College