LLTI Archives

November 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:46:59 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:00:04 -0500
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7715 Watching Videos in the Lab

It is an irony of the TEACH act that in fact it would be MORE legal to
provide the movie in a password-protected class website or course
management system than to put it on reserve for students to watch
outside of class.... I think so, anyway, because a digital classroom
emulates face-to-face teaching more closely, in theory.

NB this does not apply to video materials prepared to accompany a
textbook which is not being used in the course, however. Those materials
are much more protected, which makes sense.

The technical problems involved in digitizing (esp. from copy-protected
DVDS) and serving a movie effectively I can't address, and will be
curious to see addressed.

Judy