LLTI Archives

November 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:46:58 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:31:30 -0500
>Subject: Re: #7715 Watching Videos in the Lab
>From: Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Tom,

Normally, as soon as you digitize media (audio or video) you have legally
changed its nature, for which copyright permission is required. Likewise, if
you move material which is already digitized to another format, e.g., DVD to
a server hard disk. This is all independent of whether you make it available
to students for listening/viewing. The tricky legal question here is whether
or not the TEACH act provides an exemption. The primary consideration is
whether the material constitutes an essential part of the curriculum and if
so, whether access is strictly limited to students enrolled in the course.
As far as I know, there are also restrictions on the source of the material.
Videos marketed for the pedagogical market (e.g., the Chemin du retour DVD)
and full-length commercial movies do not qualify.  Perhaps someone with a
legal background can provide us with more details?  Jack

--
Jack Burston, Ph.D.
Director

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.