LLTI Archives

November 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:26:31 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Waid, Alexander Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #7706.1 Public rights for video viewing (!)
>Disposition-Notification-To: "Waid, Alexander Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:23:12 -0500
>From: "Waid, Alexander Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

So, if I buy a copy of Almodovar's new film for the lang center collection, it's
okay for students to come in and view it on an ongoing basis?  I wonder if it
would be better, legally, to have students buy their own copies of movies (at
$20 or so a pop, they're cheaper than most textbooks!) and only have public
viewing for movies that are harder to get in general (older/out of print films)
or harder to get in compatible formats (foreign films).  Any thoughts on taking
this approach to film?

alex

Alexander Waid, Ph.D.
Professor of Spanish