LLTI Archives

November 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:18:05 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Zoe Handley <[log in to unmask]>
---

>Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:21:08 +0000
>From: Zoe Handley <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
>Cc: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Speech Synthesis in CALL: Call for participation in on-line experiment

Dear colleagues,

This experiment focuses on the use of speech synthesis in Computer-Assisted
Language Learning (CALL). Currently, we are in the process of developing a
batter of tests to determine whether French speech synthesis systems are
ready for use in French CALL programs. In order to do this, we need to
carry out an experiment with French teachers and CALL/NLP researchers like
you.

The goal of this experiment is to identify the requirements of speech
synthesis for use in three specific CALL contexts, as a (1) reading
machine, (2) a pronunciation model, and (3) a conversational partner.

The experiment, which should take no more than an hour and a half of your
time, is presented on-line. There is no need to download any files.

If you think that you will be able to help us by participating in this
experiment, please contact us by e-mail at the following address:

All participants will be acknowledged in our publications.

Kind regards,

Z$F6e Handley, doctoral student and principal researcher, and Marie-Jos$E9e
Hamel, supervisor.

PS Would any of your colleagues be interested in participating in our
experiment ? If so, please forward them our contact details. Many thanks
in advance !

Z$F6e Handley
The School of Informatics
The University of Manchester