LLTI Archives

October 2004, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:15:37 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:47:46 -0700
>Subject: Re: #7682 capturing student oral performance on video
>From: Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum

>> From: "Tomita Hideo" <[log in to unmask]>
> I usually use a digicam for recording, and download the files and compress
> them with i2DVD (I forget the exact name) on Mac. But it also takes time.
> Is there any way I can do more quickly. Perhaps recording the performance
> with a webcom and directly upload it on a server ?

If your digicam has analog video and audio outputs, maybe you could buy a
capture card that saves in MPEG-4 format:

http://www.miglia.com/products/video/alchemytvdvr/index.html

Some factors for your solution are: how long the videos are, what kind of
quality you need, and what kind of speed your students have access
(DSL/cable modem; 10 / 100 / 1000 MB, etc.).  Video tends to be large = slow
download.  If you picked up the Miglia's signal with QuickTime Broadcaster
(OS X), you could record it and hint it simultaneously.  The hinting would
allow you to stream the video with QuickTime Streaming Server, which might
be needed speed-wise.

Bob

* LLTI is a service of IALLT, the International Association for
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.