LLTI Archives

October 2004, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:15:29 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Colleen Cannonruffo" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE:  LLTI Digest - 25 Oct 2004 to 26 Oct 2004 (#2004-110)
>Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:01:20 -0500
>From: "Colleen Cannonruffo" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Hideo Tomita-
I videotape students using MovieMaker, a Sony digital videocamera and a
computer.  MovieMaker allows you to capture the file directly onto the computer,
which makes it a one step process.  I then put the entire file on our server for
them to download and capture their individual video (this is very easy to do in
Moviemaker).  Their task is to create a movie of their performance and then a
second dubbed movie with corrections using the Narration feature of Moviemaker.
We even had a project where they dubbed over each other's movies (boys using
girls performances and vice versa).  This was similar to the credit card
identity theft commercials on TV.  They really enjoyed that one.  They have to
listen to their peformance a couple of times in order to do the voice over.  It
really makes them responsible for listening to it and making corrections.
Colleen Cannon-Ruffo
Lincoln Junior High School

>From: "Tomita Hideo" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: capturing student oral performance on video
>Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:29:20 -0400

Hello Folks:

I regularly videotape students' oral performance on digicam.
I watch it when I evaluate each performance, and give the comments to each
student on a grading sheet. The whole procedure, videotaping and watching
for evaluation, takes lots of time. But students don't read comments
carefully in many cases.

So, I've decided to have them self-comment on the performance.
For this purpose, I want to have the recorded performance available to
students right after their performance (within a day or so).

I usually use a digicam for recording, and download the files and compress
them with i2DVD (I forget the exact name) on Mac. But it also takes time.
Is there any way I can do more quickly. Perhaps recording the performance
with a webcom and directly upload it on a server ?

Any information for hardware/software would be appreciated. (I am thinking
for PC-W2000).

Thank you.

Hideo Tomita
Kenyon College