LLTI Archives

October 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:18:54 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Kleanthes Grohmann <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:03:35 +0300
>From: Kleanthes Grohmann <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Job Announcement: VISITING DIRECTOR OF THE LANGUAGE CENTER (CYPRUS)
>To: [log in to unmask], KKG <[log in to unmask]>

The University of Cyprus offers the post of Visiting Director of the
Language Center. The contract will be made for one or two years during
which time this post will be advertized as a full position. While an
application of the successful visitor for the full position will of
course be considered very favourably if both sides get along well, there
will be made no promises of any sorts. The full position will be an
academic appointment with a renewable contract at the level of Associate
or Full Professor, depending on qualifications. This means that the
successful applicant must hold a PhD in a relevant discipline. The same
requirement holds for the current advertisement for a Visiting Director
of the Language Center.

The starting date will be as soon as preferably, ideally in January or
February of 2005. Among the expected tasks to be accomplished is setting
up the Language Center in a dynamic environment: the University of
Cyprus, the only public university in the Republic of Cyprus, is
currently in its thirteenth year of existence and the Language Center
has recently been established as an autonomous institution within the
Faculty of Humanities alongside the Departments of English Studies,
French and Modern Languages, and Turkish Studies.

The University of Cyprus is also currently building a new campus which
will eventually house the entire institution. One of the future
facilities will be a state-of-the-art Learning Center where the Computer
Center, the Library, and the Language Center will find a home. Another
prime task of te Visiting Director will thus be to supervise and engage
in the preparations for construction, incl. all infrastructure.

Further tasks include course management (within the University of Cyprus
and outside to the public), training and managing language teachers
(incl. hiring, promoting, and educating further), teaching one class per
semester (in one of the three departments of the Faculty of Humanities),
and others. The languages currently taught at the University of Cyprus
alongside Greek (which is independent of the Language Center) ar
Turkish, English, French, German, Spanish, and Italian, with Russian
starting next academic year.

Working knowledge of Greek is expected of the full appointment of
Director of the Language Center, so that the Visitor ideally has some
command of Greek or is willing and able to achieve this within his or
her appointment.

The appointment to Visiting Director of the Language Center will be made
at the rank of Associate or Full Professor with a competitive salary.

Since we are working on a tight schedule, all applications arriving by
November 10 will be considered. Please submit a CV in electronic form to
Dr. Kleanthes Grohmann, the Interim Director of the Language Center. For
submission of applications and further inquiries, please send an email
to <[log in to unmask]>.

     Kleanthes K. Grohmann (Assistant Professor)
       Interim Director of the Language Center
University of Cyprus - Department of English Studies
Kallipoleos 75, P.O. Box 20537, 1678 Nicosia, Cyprus
   Fon: +357 22 892 106  *  Fax: +357 22 75 03 10
[log in to unmask]  www.punksinscience.org/kleanthes