LLTI Archives

October 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:14:47 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Duncan
>Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:26:51 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Duncan Charters <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7658.7 DAEWOO Code-free Dealer (!)

>Does anyone have experience buying code free DVD players from
>220-electronics?
>
>http://www.220-electronics.com/

Well over a year ago, World Gift Center announced they would be changing
their web site to this address.  Yet it does not seem to be the same at all
as their own, which is still in place <www.world-import.com>.  So I suspect
there must have been some take-over negotiation which fell through, and
that would explain the comment about different people at the World Gift
Center.  Perhaps some people left to set up the new place?

While on the subject of Chicago area suppliers, another I have used once,
satisfactorily, is <www.dvdoverseas.com>, so that might be worth checking
out too.

>Specifically our "Finding Nemo" has successfully played only a couple of
>times. The >deck vibrates and "grinds" as it tries to read it then gives a
>"no disc" message.

Once thing that seems certain is that no DVD player plays everything, and
that no one (even knowledgeable vendors) can predict which features will
work in a particular case.  These keep changing (usually for the better but
not always) with each new model.  Our Target Daewoo plays "Finding Nemo"
perfectly.  I suspect it's the specific disc, though it certainly could be
the player.  I have had an occasional commercial disc do something like
this, though that happens more often with the Charlie Chaplin collections
from the "Everything $1" store...  A heavy-duty scratch remover like Skip
DR. with liquid spray ($30) handles most surface problems, but would
probably not be a complete cure for an endemic one like this, though you
might notice some improvement.  I assume no one is into the quantity of
DVDs to make worth while an optical scratch remover such as the ones used
in some video stores ($250).

Duncan Charters

Dr. Duncan Charters
Professor, Language Department
Principia College, Elsah, IL 62028-9799
Telephone: (618) 374-5252    Fax: (618) 374-5465
E-mail: <[log in to unmask]>

* LLTI is a service of IALLT, the International Association for
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.